Wednesday 18 February 2015

Je suis Karly

 
"...To be a U.S. Army Soldier is to be part of the strongest fighting force in the world. You’ll spend your days training, working and serving together to protect America’s freedom. You’ll also have time after work for family, friends and personal interests. From recruitment to retirement, the U.S. Army provides a unique lifestyle.

The most important thing you’ll learn as a Soldier is how to become a successful leader. You will be given many opportunities to improve your leadership and teamwork skills as you take on more responsibility and move up in rank. You’ll learn how to motivate and problem solve,to pursue goals with passion, to stand up to challenges and lead and live with your strengths. You will learn to lead by example..."


The commander of the fifth battalion soldiers,Major Cohen  gave the opening remark,welcoming the fresh set of lads who had signed up to join the army,his pale complexioned but muscly arms,cracking with vericose veins were clasped behind him whilst walking back and forth on a grey but polished podium overlooking the lawned meadow where the men assembled,cladded in an ash coloured top with the inscription "U.S ARMY" boldly written across it, tucked inside his khaki jeans with its  u.s army trademark dull-coloured print and matching face cap which the new recruits were also putting on. His countenance was looking serious and stern,occasionally twitching his lips which was tugging at a bold scar just by it that runs across his jaw,which according to whispers,he sustained in the line of combat duty. Suddenly,he stood still,scanning the faces of everyone in row,he sputtered,occasionally demonstrating with exaggerated gesticulations

"Becoming a Soldier can be challenging, but it's also a rewarding life. The process can be summed up in three steps. The first is to work with a Recruiter. Once you sign up and are sworn in, you attend Basic Combat Training (BCT). Then you learn valuable job skills at Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Each of these steps mentioned would be later explained in more detail "

He pointed backwards to another batch of at-attention corporal soldiers behind him who were three ranks ahead of the new privates,he said

"The U.S. Army is made up of the most dedicated, most respected Soldiers in the world. These Soldiers protect America’s freedoms while serving at home and abroad, and they are always prepared to defend the nation in times of need.

A U.S. Army Soldier is the embodiment of physical strength, mental strength and strength of purpose. As a Soldier, you will be prepared to serve our country whenever and wherever you are needed. You will be combat ready at all times, and you will be trained to counter any threat, anywhere. "

Karl's cheek bones moved in a tidal wave direction as he clenched his teeth,adrenaline filling his entire body with excitement and ardour,he had always wanted to join the united state army since he was a teen and here he was standing on file,assembled with other young,courageous men,ready to serve their country,his dreams becoming a reality.

"PRIVATES!!!"

Major cohen barked to ensure the men were still attentive

"YES SIR!!"

The lads howled,the Major paused for a while,looking intently into the faces of the men as though he was reading their minds,he then continued

"Soldiers constantly train and learn. In the Army, you will be able to take advantage of a long list of job and leadership training opportunities that will provide you with the tools to succeed in your chosen career path"


Karl nodded with rapt attention,he wanted to make sure he came out tops in all their trainings,nothing would stand in his way now,he thought,when suddenly,he sniffed repeatedly and spat out,he had perceived something foul and sickening and couldn't help but recoil in disgust,a fellow private,standing beside him had farted and the culprit,looking pleadingly at Karl went pale with fright at the kind of punishment his action might land him as Major Cohen shouted from the podium,asking what was wrong and before Karl could say anything,which was to actually lie to defend the guy,someone else had pointed the guy who farted out and told the Major he polluted the air,the rest of the lads bursted into laughter,the culprit bowed his head, blushing with embarrassment,the Major called for order and demanded they all fall back in line,then commanded the guy who outed the private who farted to fall out and asked him to do fifty push ups

"That's for outing your fellow comrade...you don't,I repeat,you don't give off your comrade,your mates,NEVER!"

He thundered,sending drops of saliva spitting out in different direction,the privates,all looking still and attentive,Major Cohen  paused for a moment as the private doing push ups heaved and moaned while carrying out his punishment,he then continued

"Basic Combat Training is the first main training course of your Army Career. There, you will undergo the mental and physical conditioning required to become a Soldier. After you graduate, you'll move on to Advance Individualized Training, where you'll learn how to perform your chosen specialty. But your training doesn't end there,BCT, known as "basic" is a nine-week course designed to give you a foundation as an Army Soldier. During this course, you will learn how to rappel from a tower, operate a firearm, and you'll receive field instruction and undergo physical conditioning that will help you in your military career"


Major Cohen again pointed towards the batch of corporals behind him,stating to the privates that the corporals would be the ones to oversee their training,going ahead to telling them the next set of military training they would have to undergo

"During AIT, you will get hands-on training in the career path you have chosen. This training will not only prove useful to your ultimate role within your unit, but you will also be able to apply the skills you learn to your civilian career."

Karl looked ahead sternly,picturing himself atop armoured tanks advancing towards enemy territories and fighting for his country whilst reflecting on his reasons for joining the army,his memory flashing back to events leading to his decision to join the army


*FLASHBACK*

December 1999

The night was cold and bitter,a young Karl, swath in layers of fur-trimmed black cardigans held on tightly to his mom,Natalie's grip,their breaths vapouring white in the cold as they trudged along on 94th street in new york,the grounds damp with melting snow as Karl dragged his feet along,trying to avoid slipping,Natalie kept gnashing her teeth in frustration,she was suffering from clinical depression diagnosed shortly after Dad's death,she couldn't get over his breaking up with her many years back and had nursed the idea in her head that soon,he would come back to his senses and crawl on all fours to claim them based on the fact that Dad had unbeknown to Mom,sent monthly living expenses to Natalie until Dad's eventual death,she was always feeling suicidal and to avoid child care services seizing Karl from her,she decided to move in with her brother Nathan who lived in a block of flat on 94th street.


" Ahmed is dead"

She said blankly to Nathan,her brother after he ushered them in,he sighed tiredly,falling on his couch,Natalie was loosing it,she was now the shadow of her former self,a bit emaciated and her hair falling off,Karl looked on from a corner,sipping a cup of hot tea offered him by his uncle

"There's no man to protect my son and I...no man to provide for us,no man to defend me"

Natalie said again,absent-mindedly,Nathan stood up,walked towards Natalie and wrapped his arms around her,assuring her he would always be there for her and his nephew


"Besides Karl would grow up into a strong man who would not only defend and protect you but also clothe and feed you,ok sis!"

Natalie smiled,nodding approvingly,saying she would love nothing more and how amazing it would be if Karl also joins the military thus imprinting on the mind of young Karl that he needed to be there for his mom,protect her and fight for his country

*PRESENT DAY*

Major Cohen dismissed the men and they jogged off to begin their training,Karl immediately immersed himself into his trainings and making friends with Privates Andrew and Robert who were grasping steadily their trainings and had the highest IQ tests scores as they had some sort of military training from being members of boys scout in high school.

After their grueling months of different trainings,Karl passed successfully and along with other successful lads,the privates were formally investituted with their privates ranks,officially welcoming them into the united states army, Natalie sat in the crowd of congregation consisting of friends,relatives and well wishers of the new officers of the gun,intermittently dabbing her teary eyes with her handkerchief,watching Karl,dapperly decked out in military ceremonial uniform,his beret stylishly slanted on his coiffed hair  walk up to the stage to get decorated with his first rank by Major Cohen who after fixing the rank on his shoulder whilst beaming from ear to ear,muttered something with Karl who kept nodding and smiling then the former thereafter giving him a pat on the back,Karl stood at-attention and saluted the Major who acknowledged his greeting by saluting back,Natalie could not hold back the tears as she stood up and cheered happily,clapping and
waving her handkerchief while uncle Nathan took quick snap shots of the moment,Karl turned swiftly,descending the steps and moving back to his seat.

Shortly after their investiture ceremony,Karl was dispatched to iraq where they instantly met with stiff resistance from the rebels in eastern basra where he was sent,Natalie had realised shortly before he left for the war her folly at getting Karl interested in joining the army,now he was going away and might be killed,she cried for days on end after Karl left and occasionally had horrible nightmares which as a result drew her to the lord and became quite spiritual and very prayerful. Karl on the other hand was going through a moment of flaming war and surrealism which almost killed his humanity.

"When I open my eyes, I wonder if I'm dreaming. This entire operation has seemed unreal from the start.

It is pitch black and silent. I loosen the top of my sleeping bag, and my fingers reach out to feel the icy metallic floor. I move my body and bump into full ammo boxes. I remember now, I fell asleep in a Humvee, Everyone else wanted to bed down on a floor, not in a vehicle seat. But enemy mortar fire has been constant, and I refused to sleep in the abandoned three-story building we parked next to. I feel safer with four inches of steel over my head"

From the moment they landed in basra,all Karl and most of the other newbies into the army had learnt vanished,it was one thing to be in training in a politically stable and war-free country and a totally different feeling when you land in a middle-east,war torn country with shrivelled looking rebels in  the blazing heat during the day and frigidly cold at night

"We had lost four Marines since this assault started on new year,twelve more have been seriously injured. Back home, a civilian might live from paycheck to paycheck; I try to stay alive from week to week. I'm just really trying to stay sane, only one week at a time.

I have all the gear that makes a warrior. My Humvee is my warhorse. My Kevlar is my helmet, and my flak is the armor that protects my heart. I have boots to march me into battle. My M16 is my “thunder maker,” so called for the thunderous cracks it makes when fired. My sole luxury item is an oversized sweater that bears the Marine Corps crescent of an eagle guarding the world. At night, my sweater doubles as my pillow. "

Karl shook his head,his pores tingling as he recounts the night of horror he thought was going to be his last on earth,Hamz's mouth wide open in horror as he narrates to Hamz,QT and myself

"Why am I up? The sun hasn't risen. Ohhhhhhh... Nature calls, even when you're in war. I slip on my sweater; the sleeves are baggy and the elastic seams hug my wrists and hips. I crawl out of my sleeping bag. The cold chills my legs while I fumble around for my boots.

The Humvee's steel doors are heavy, especially for a feather weight like me,lol. But I know how to use my 120-pound frame. I give a grunt and slowly push.

With my final shove, the door opens and I fall over. I quickly recover and raise my arms before it swings back and crushes me.

I am still not completely awake. I start to walk toward the latrine area, but get only eight or nine steps when the night lights comes up. My shadow appears before me, three stories high against the building wall. I look behind me and see four Humvees illuminated by bright white flashes. Multiple blasts stun me. It's mortar fire. I know that sound anywhere."

It was as though it was happening right there and then as Karl narrated his experience,I was scared stiff,I held Hamz's well built biceps but he slapped me away,I don't know why but I felt this urge to hold someone lest I fall off in dizziness,I turned to QT,stretching my arms to grab his strong-looking biceps but he gave me an icy side look I immediately retracted my arms and with a heaving sigh,I knew Karl won't turn me down,I turned to face him and held him,he laughed and continued,Hamz shaking his head at me sadly

"I spin in a circle, looking for cover. I'm smack between the building and my Humvee, and I'm too groggy to decide which direction to run. My ears start ringing, and I realize that the mortar rounds must have been closer than I thought. I'm amazed that I’m not dead yet.

Explosions and more white flashes are coming faster. I don't know if I'm frozen in my boots, or if my brain is processing faster than my body can move.

Marines in full armor rush about. Another series of blasts and flashes, then I come to my senses.

We're not under attack. A Marine mortar team is firing into the city, and I'm underneath the fire arc. They must have set up a fire pit behind the Humvee while I slept.

A mortar flare pops in the distant sky. It's like a red star that floats above the city, lighting up the buildings around us. All turns quiet and movement slows to a crawl.

A soft red glow basks the building next to me. My double shadow dances along the dirt road, stretching farther as the red star sinks behind this ancient city.

As I look at my shadow, I take stock of myself. No thunder maker, no armor, and no helmet. All of it still in the Humvee that I stumbled out of moments before. Instead, I stand frozen in place, wearing nothing but my unlaced boots, baggy sweater, and tighty whities turned pink by the fading flare.

The red star burns out, the city falls back into pitch black and all is silent. There is nothing, as if in a dream."

OH LAWD KARL!!! LOL!

KEEP UP

20 comments:

  1. wow maj! the depth pf your research is commendable,it felt so real,it was like watching an episode of THE UNIT,lol and karl,lol,i almost died at the climax,such a brave brother you got maj,for the love of mother and country,he went to war and now he's so passionate about nigeria as read in ''what politics has divided'', i love this family some more today
    -karen,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atleast,unlike the kardashians,the adagiri brothers do have talent,maj,an amazing writer,karl volunteered for the army,qt and hamz are educated and also volunteers at NGOs,am so impressed,this story is replete with suspense,lessons,comic feels and karl and maj managed to take us to basra and get a feel of what's it's like to be on war grounds and back home to nigeria,lol,i also love GRIM,it was also about karl and very well detailed,this is a nice piece,i particularly love the fact that karl's experience in iraq is being told bits by bits,first in grim and now this,gradually,we would get to why he had to leave and events leading thereto
    -mosunmola,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a brother who also joined the army but sadly,he died,karl was so lucky to get out,incidents like that can get one so disoriented and can lead to death,this is a well told piece,it eveoked emotions of stories my late brother wrote to us via letters,weldone maj
    -megan,texas,usa

    ReplyDelete
  4. the picture,the plot,wow! i enjoyed this,but why did karl leave?
    -yusuf,abuja

    ReplyDelete
  5. the guy in the middle in the post almost looks like karl,i love how you manage to use photos that look like karl,lol. while reading,i had thought karl was going to die until i remebered ''oh,karl is the one narrating the story'',love how you meandered from the first person narrative to the second,only a writer like you can successfully manage that without us really noticing,you are talented maj,nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maj,you won't kill me,i laughed,almost choked,got teary all, while reading this just one piece,this is amazing,did karl tell you in verbatim what majorn cohen said in addressing them or you just did a nice research? this was like watching an episode of the unit,very very real,lol,thumbs up maj
    -onwubiko manuel,lagos island

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice reviews so far,so now would go back and read the piece,lol
    -ibrahim,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  8. karl is a strong man,maj,please help find him a girlfriend here in nigeria,it's about time we start hearing the girlfriend issues again,we've missed that and oh,sex tooo,oh sex,sex,sex
    -faruq,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  9. indeed...i am karly! i saw the post link on linkedin and the first line grabbed my attention and the picture,i felt i needed to read this as military life is something i find intriguing,the climax of this post is real and you say karl was sent to eastern basra? lol,lucky he got out alive,that place is truly ancient and bloody
    -yves,united states

    ReplyDelete
  10. reading this just makes you appreciate your marines the more,they constantly and intently put themselves out in danger for our collective peace of mind...but in this case,they went to iraq to disturb their peace,though no fault of karl as he acted under orders [especially if he ever took a life while there] but if the shriveled looking guerrillas fought back,it's only natural,they invaded their country to start with,thank God karl got away
    -kim yen,scotland

    ReplyDelete
  11. natalie,natalie,lol,that woman is twisted beyond redemption,not only was she depressed,she wanted her son to join the army then drew close to God after he went and realised her folly,only for her to hook up andre afterwards in ''upheavals'' and signed a business transaction she called pre-nuptials document,whew! no wonder karl had to leave her
    -yetunde,abeokuta

    ReplyDelete
  12. bravo karl,lol and maj,you need help,so narrating a grimmy story got you dizzy so much you wanna hold strong biceps?lol,oh maj!
    -ebuka,benin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ebuka,leave maj the fuck alone,he's states several times he hates the sight of blood or talking about blood or war that it makes him dizzy,that's consistency,he said this in a kuwda post back when he writes on his facebook wall,so this tells you it's all true,just as we have buff men who flee when they see cockroach or rats
      -gladys,benin

      Delete
  13. almsot graphic..almost graphic,i had my heart in my mouth lol,maj how copuld u?
    -leslie,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok,nice piece no doubt,but why were you guys alarmed at the end?what's with the lol?i thought you guys ought to be relived?
    -michael ayun,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  15. one needs guts and an amazing level of courage to join the army buy why would privates be taken to war?is that the way it is done?
    -samira ahmad,colorado,united states

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @samira,ofcourse privates are taken to war simply because they've been trained or how else do you get experience if you aren't physically in the field,that said,karl seems to be like he wasn't emotionally ready for war or he didn't expect what he was confronted with,all the same,i laud his bravery for joining and deciding to go to war...but he left later right?does that mean he was a coward?we would find out as time goes on,nice work maj
      -cassandra,texas,united states

      Delete
    2. it is most insensitive of you @cassandra to label karl a coward for leaving the army,like you said,it takes guts to joining and another level of bravery to be on war grounds,more so if the reason for your government's decision to go to war is wrong,karl saw alot and i like maj's decision to drop the stories in bits,when faced with that much bloodshed,death and cruelty,anyone would leave before they loose their humanity,i ytotally am in support of karl leaving the army,it was the wisest thing to do
      -dennis,awka,nigeria

      Delete
    3. the reason for the united states going to war was to nip the bud,the terrorist groups in their homestead and annihilating them before they strike back,did the united state go above board in doing so?yes,in war,there are causalities,innocent people die,and i fault not,karl's decision to leave,you can't go to war and come back the same,something dies inside of you
      -gladys,victoria island,lagos

      Delete
  16. i think karl went,saw and conquered by coming back intact with his humanity in place,no one sees that much level of death and bloodshed and comes back sane
    -owen,lagos

    ReplyDelete