Saturday 10 January 2015

Carpe diem!


PING! PING!

My blackberry phone buzzed for the umpteenth time prompting me to drop the carrots I was busy scraping dirts off under the kitchen zinc faucet with a knife as I got busy to start preparing jollof rice


I shook water off my hands,wiping carelessly on my short "kukere" jean trousers  and went to pick it up,my lips flashed into a cheeky grin...and when I say cheeky grin,who else could elicit such in me if not a female,lol,it was my bossom friend gloria whom I haven't spoken to in a long while,I immediately started punching my phone's keypad as it was also displayed on my screen that she was typing a message

Glo- Maaaaj!

Maj- Oh lord! Hey darling,how are you,quite an age!


Glo- Yes oo,my phone developed problems so I had to go off BBM for awhile,even now,I just breezed in,not really staying for long.

Maj- Aww! So you will be leaving me again huh?!

Glo- Buy me a phone and I wouldn't need to,lol

 Maj- You know I wouldn't mind if I had a vault filled with cash to constantly meet all your financial and material needs...lol,talking about phone,what are your boyfriends doing? Don't tell me you're single ehn! In the whole of lagos,all the eligible and well loaded guys couldn't be blind to see a stunning girl like you and stumble over themselves to get your attention *winks*

Glo- Ofcourse I get my fair share of admirers almost on a daily bases but the lots are just frogs...haven't found my prince

Maj- LMAO! They can't all be frogs na,it's probably because you haven't been frequenting the right places,you know, exquisite 5-star hotel gyms,plush restaurants,exclusive shopping malls, nice cinemas,need I continue?  *grins*

Glo- You know I don't have to sweat it boo,I've got the looks and I have actually registered with the gym class at eko hotel...am just not interested in a guy for now jare

Maj- All the better,so you keep yourself intact just for me *winks*

Glo- *laughs* Go away jor,am already eyeing someone actually.

Maj- Aah! Lol, who is the guy oo,hope he's financially loaded cause if he's not,let me talk to him to quickly bring him up to speed about what it takes to be with a gorgeous damsel like you :)

Glo- Aaaah! Maj ooo,hahaha,funny you

 It made me feel good that I got her laughing as the sounds of her laughter rang in my head,remembering how she laughs way back in school,I quickly checked out her display picture which she had just changed and the familiar face that melted my heart the first day I saw her displayed before my peepers,the straight-pointy nose,even chocolate complexion,sleek and slim like a super model with a sassy dress sense, ample,pear shape bust and pert derriere,just the way the way I love 'em,a leggy brunette with wavy,long hair and a silhouette that would put victoria's secret angel ambrosio in the shade,a stunning beauty, pretty like a dove,her name.. Gloria and I couldn't help but relive in my head how we met

*THREE YEARS AGO*

I rushed out of my two bedroom apartment off-campus which I jocularly call my penthouse,given the fact that not many students during that time live in flats,not the least one with two bedrooms. I was super late for a nine am class and the course was a compulsory one with a stern lecturer who takes his attendance seriously,once he is in class,anyone who comes after him is considered absent for the class and the drive from home to school is over an hour away,add a snarly traffic to it and I might as well sit the class out but since I wasn't sure whether the man could set a test or not,I decided to go.

I was unsettled in the cab on the way to school,I thought the cab driver wasn't moving fast enough,I would occasionally urge him to move fast,stamp my feet and bite at my fingers, he gave me an icy look and chastised me for not waking up early enough

 "You don't have kids,responsibilities or financial worries since your parents provide for your needs,so why couldn't you wake up early huh?! You kids of nowadays,such lazy bums,now you want to literally fly to school because you are late,sorry oo,I won't go beyond this speed limit"

I gave him a quizzical look,wanting to clap right back at him for having such audacity to reproach me so! I mean he doesn't know me and what kept me late and the hell I do have responsibilities,to my studies and does he know what I go through to get money from Mom? But he was quite right,I had been watching merlin all through the night and only went to bed when Nepa seized the light,forcing me to go to sleep,so I swallowed my intended flaming vitriolic spews and kept quiet.

I got to my lecture theatre with palpable fear written over me as I saw the lecturer already in class gesticulating with gusto whilst delivering his usual power-packed lectures and the students listening with rapt attention,I stood,transfixed on a spot away from the lecturer's sight,looking really stupid as some of my coursemates by the window  took a look at me,shook their heads,smiled and turned their gaze back to the lecturer,listening on, could people be that mean?

I made a frantic sign to a guy by the window,asking him if I could sneak in,when true to my thoughts,the man announced he  was about giving a test,he made a sign back to me saying I should quickly walk in through the back door while the lecturer writes on the whiteboard and I quickly did,tiptoed in quickly and sliding on a seat and I bumped against Gloria's body

"Oh am sorry"

I said,she threw me an irritated look and nodded,quickly getting a piece of paper to write the test, tucking an unruly hair of her cleopatra-styled bob hair with blunt fringe behind her ears,I thought she looked amazing, spellbound by her beauty,her poise,the way she picked her things,her fingers,everything seemed to get me enamored,I wanted to know this lady, I wanted to talk to her but I couldn't find the words,my throat went dry but I kept gazing...gazing at her so hard she felt it and turned back to look at me,trying not to look like a creep,I quickly uttered

"Um! Excuse me, can I have a sheet of paper...please?"

She hesitated a little,trying to mutter something like she doesn't want to ruin her book by cutting from the middle then I guessed in a split second,she changed her mind and decided to be nice and she gave me a sheet,I smiled and we wrote the test.


"PENCILS UP"

The lecturer bellowed! We quickly handed over our papers and in that period,I was trying to compose in my head, a suitable way to approach her...maybe ask to know her name and if the gods shine some luck on me that day,maybe get her number but even though I was all ready in my heart and mind,my bodily strength and courage eluded me,I opened my mouth and no sound came forth,I wanted to move to tap her some but force held me from moving,all the while,she was packing her books and getting ready to walk out of the class.


I saw my friend tchubs walking through the aisle by the rows of seats towards me,grinning from ear to ear,the test must have gone well for him,I thought,I wished to God that he got pulled over by another friend of his for a light-hearted chat or a tete-a-tete as he has many friends in class while  I try to summon the courage to speak with Gloria and I didn't want him to ruin the moment

"Please God,let iyabo pull Tchubs now,please God...oh iyabo,pull Tchubs,pull him,FUCKING pull"

I prayed fervently in my mind but he managed to duck Iyabo's outstretched hands who tried to pull him for a chat as his many friends are wont to,instead,he said a cheerful hello with a wave and blowed her some air-kisses and kept coming while Gloria was flicking through a book and I, still held by an invincible force from approaching her, then Tchubs approached the class captain,Kunle

"Oh Kunle,could you just do a brother a favour and pull this guy and engage in one of your diatribes pleeeeaaaaase"


I prayed yet again and he almost escaped Kunle who was calling Tchubs and just when I thought he had escaped Kunle,the latter ran after Tchubs and pulled him by the arm,I was so happy,so I turned to Gloria but to my disappointment,one of her friends had approached her and were busy chatting

"Oh lord!"

I groaned,sinking dejectedly into my seat,I decided to also revise my book while I pray and hope Gloria's friend frees her on time.

Gloria's friend left and this time,Gloria packed her books,looking set to leave,the fear of loosing her got me really frightened,even though I knew I would be seeing her again in class,I just had this compulsive urge to talk to her that day.


"Hey miss"


I muttered...almost a whisper,she turned around to look at me and just about that moment, Tchubs arrived

"Oreeemiiiii"

He exclaimed,hugging Gloria who in turn,beamed with smiles,hugging him

"Ofcourse they are friends"

I muttered under my breath,Gloria's attention had been seized by bubbly Tchubs who now greeted me and Gloria then asked if we were friends and he said yes,I smiled and we all chatted,moving out of the lecture theatre ,we moved on and for some reasons,I always felt intimidated whenever I wanted to approach her.

The day came when I was determined to approach her,I got my newest "bath ups" and went to class, Tchubs kept saying I shouldn't bother but I said I liked her and wanted her for me,so he wished me goodluck but when I got to class,what I saw almost made me faint.

I saw Gloria,hand in hand with an mixed guy and just about the same time,Tchubs whispered

"That's her boyfriend, you didn't carpe diem when you ought to"

With my jaws falling open,totally disappointed but consoled with the fact that we were friends.

*PRESENT DAY*

Maj- I miss you Glo doll

Glo- I miss you sweetheart

I smiled

KEEP UP

16 comments:

  1. wow,she's truly stunning,lol,it's only natural you were shy to approach her,so beautiful
    -gbenro,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  2. maj,you are funny oo,what made you think you stood a chance?hahaha,sorry mate,atleast she's a friend,that's your way in...use it
    -sylvester,lagos

    ReplyDelete
  3. women love men who are bold and have a suave manner of approach,you were to timid and frightened for her liking,she's not daft,she knew you had a motive,an intention to woo her but waiting for you to make the first step,approach her but sadly you slacked and some mixed guy took over,she's stunning and if the two of you were to make babies,oh lord! pure heartbreakers they would be
    -debbie,PH

    ReplyDelete
  4. she should be a model,wow,stunning gloria..loking glowsome,lol,shit happens maj,move on,besides both of you are too cute for a relationship to work between you two,opposite divides is the way the universe works,ugly man for gloria and ugly woman for maj.
    -rihanat,lagos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @rihanat,i beg to disagree,what do mean?na curse?how can you say opposite divide is the way the universe works,just because beyonce married jayz and bianca married ojukwu,doesn't mean thats the way the world is wired,both maj and gloria could get married and it would last,please keep your backdated opinions to yourself
      -rachel,lagos

      Delete
    2. hahahaha @rachel so apt darling,so apt, i agree but do you think mrs adagiri would gladly accepy gloria? have you all forgotten so soon what happen to a certain ex of qt and why mrs adagiri interferred in the relationship
      *sips kunnu as i wait for comments*
      -dennis,ogun

      Delete
    3. @rachel,so funny,lol,i think in such a situation,zodiac signs and individual stars should be consulted in knowing if they would work as a couple or not,whilst am not a pagan,this simpy means pure love,prayers an commitment from both parties is the only way to make things work,even orlando bloom and victoria's secret (former) miranda kerr,both good looking in their own rights broke up,leaving a child caught up in-between the messy split
      -deola,abuja

      Delete
    4. @rachel,opposite divides i maintain is one of the key factors to stay longer in a relationship,have you all noticed how cute couples are always seen to be the ones lasting but first to break up?because both are aware of their physiological attractiveness and the ugly ones stay together cause the find themselves lucky to be married in the first place,God helps chase flies for the tailess cows amazeballs,why do you think beyonce settled for jayz?she is smart and acted fast
      -rihannat,lagos

      Delete
    5. @rihannat,do you know something that we don't? why do you think your so called theory on opposite divides,played a role in beyonce's choice of a life partner and how so immuned their marriage is against a breakup,please do tell and why is everyone validating marriage?not everyone is a candidate for marriage and as a society,if we stop playing so much emphasis on it and seeing it as one of the highlights of life,it would go a long way in reducing ill bred kids we have in our society today
      -johnson,kaduna

      Delete
    6. @johnson,as much as i agree with you on the theory of opposite divides,i disagree with you on marriage,God himself blessed the institution of marriage and enjoined it on all humans,so why would you advise some people not to get married because they are not marriage material? if so,what are your benchmarks for determining who is marriage worthy or not?remember the saying ''he who hath found a wife has found a good thing and obtained favour from the lord''
      -aisha,abuja

      Delete
    7. @aisha,i don't think that's what johnson meant,from my understanding,not everyone truly is meant to be in a marriage,maybe all the person needs is a lifelong partner,a civil relationship,not necessarily putting a label on it,if not look at the high cases of divorce rates all over the world and kids brought up in broken homes and the psychological effects of their parent's actions,even as grown up as beyonce was,she was badly affected by her folks breakup,despite being in a marriage herself,we shouldn't see marriage as by force by fire,lest you land in fire.
      -carlos,benin

      Delete
    8. @carlos, you are such a carlos man,lol,love your response to that,nice piece maj,men of all sizes and build all go through this situation when you fret and conjure up the best words to use to woo a woman,the fear of rejection is the beginning of wisdom,love the piece and gloria is beautiful,go for her,lol
      david,lagos

      Delete
  5. wow,lol,the whole wishing tchubs would just disappear made me laugh but why were you avoiding him anyway,he could have sped you up her heart without going through the emotional roller-coaster you had to go through,lol,nice piece and hope mom is better now?do and tell us what happened oo,lol
    -irene,nassarawa

    ReplyDelete
  6. what's carpe diem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is that why u didnt put a name?to avoid people making fun of u,it means an exclamation made for one to go for what they want at the right time,it's latin
      -obinna

      Delete