Wednesday 18 June 2014

I was here (an eulogy)



Press play!

* Beyonce's "I was here" playing softly from the theatre system,its aunt tania's remembrance day,you all remember aunt tania amazeballs? The sis who's always got mom's back and who died this month last year,yeah! It's a year already*


FLASHBACK

*over 20 years ago*

Mom- Hey darling

SIS- How are you big sis

MOM- Am ok,I just called you to inform you I just gave birth to a bouncing baby boy

SIS- OHHHHH MYYYY GOD! YAAAAAAAY! GOD! Am so excited right now,how are you feeling,how is my little nephew doing...!

MOM- (laughs) we are well,he's sleeping peacefully

SIS- Awww! How sweet,am still in the office right now,once I get home,I would inform alaysia and nina that the first grandchild of the family has been born! Yaaaay! (Mom laughs) and mama would be so happy,you gave her a male grandchild,what she never had, thank you sis

MOM- Aw! Common,thank God,I've informed mama already and she would be coming down here first thing tomorrow

SIS- ha ha ha,I trust her,don't worry sis,I would try and get permission from work for a few days and be there before the naming ceremony,me,alaysia and nina (the other siblings)....and tell baba born-boy that I say congrats and he should thank his thing ooo

(BOTH LAUGHS)

MOM- You silly thing,I have to go now,I see your nephew crying,I have to feed him

SIS- alright mama born-boy,go do your thing...bye dear

REALITY


MOM

My late sister was an amazing person, from when we were little,we were always together,we always fought though but to others,we were like two peas in a pod,she was a tomboy...I think she still was right to her death,she dresses like a lady but thinks and acts like a man,my journey through motherhood would be incomplete without her,she was always there,to support and help me with the kids, (wipes tears)

Its unfortunate she never experienced that, tania was...was...was.... Oh lord (body shakes and she sobs,sniffs and tries to comport herself) I can't believe am using "was" to address her...she defended me against my late husband's family,physically and spiritually,when I got cut off from my late husband's family and had no means of supporting myself and my sons,she was there,after God,we were always having each other's back,also,back home,because we are all females,we've been assumed we wouldn't go far ahead in life,we both strived so hard to disappoint the bad belles and critics who tried to poison our dad's mind against sending us to school, she....we were 5 and 6,I could go on and on about tania,there are just lots and lots of memories

I thank God for allowing me meet someone like her,am grateful he gave her to me as a sibling,am happy she was part of my life and again am happy she died a muslim

Rest in peace T

(Sobs)


MAJ

My earliest memories of aunty tania would be as a 5 year old,my mom along with QT, (Hamz wasn't born yet then,lol) and aunty tania dressed up to go and take pictures at a photo studio and I think I wanted chocolates and my mom wouldn't buy for me because she thought I would mess my well ironed T-shirt,I started crying,mom didn't budge

"If you like,cry till heaven falls,I won't buy you chocolates"

She insisted

I cried even harder

"Just buy it for him common sis,now he's ruined his perfectly powdered cute face"

Aunt tania pleaded

"Am not out of powder,I would just wipe his face and rub another"

Mom countered,I cried even harder at hearing that

"come here baby"

Aunt T picked me up into her arms,branched by a petty trader's stall and bought me Eclairs chocolate

Tears still flowing,I collected my chocolate,looked at mom , tongue out,and dug my teeth into the delicious looking chocs,aunt T laughed so hard,petted me,wiped my tears and continued on our trip to the photo studio

Aunty tania was quite strict but so loving,as a young kid,I loved reading so much and mom helped make it grow by buying me books,aunt tania loved glossy magazines and I would pick them and read,from ovation,to vogue,hello,etc

And as I grew,she would always take me on her dates with her boyfriend,where we would try and speak in flowery language to bedazzle the man,lol


She was like my second mom,she was the go-to person when am broke in school and mom isn't forthcoming

I miss her,I love her

Rest in peace aunty!


KARL

I knew aunty tania for only a short while and in these short while,she made me feel like we've known each other forever,she illuminates where she is with her charm,charisma and laughter

She never made me feel like we aren't exactly so related,you know she's my step-mom's sister,she was sweet and affectionate,quite strict and yet warm


She inspired determination in me to go for whatever it is I want

She would be missed

RIP aunty


QT


Hmmmn!

Where do I start from?


Is it how she takes us out for fun times or pieces of advice and admonition,she was just an amazing person,am yet to fully get over her passing

Aunty Tee was all you could ever ask for in an aunt and more

Its sad she left so soon

Rest with the lord aunt


HAMZ


Am really not a man of many words

My mind is burstling with lots of things to say but I really can't find the words

There are lots of things to say and am just speechless


Bedazzle the angels with your charm aunt

RIP



Aunty Tee,we are all short of words,your exit from this world is still very fresh in our heads,we pray you've found peace and comfort with your maker. I believe you are up there,smiling down at us,telling us you are fine and probably reading the lyrics to "I was here" by beyonce (lol) which to me aptly describes what you were and what you would have said to us


                     I Was Here

I wanna leave my footprints on the sands of time

Know there was something that, meant something that I left behind
When I leave this world, I'll leave no regrets
Leave something to remember, so they won't forget

                       I was here
                      I lived, I loved
                       I was here
I did, I've done everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
                      I was here

I want to say I lived each day, until I died
And know that I meant something in, somebody's life
The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I leave
That I made a difference, and this world will see

                      I was here
                    I lived, I loved
                      I was here

I did, I've done everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know

                      I was here
                    I lived, I loved
                       I was here
I did, I've done everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
                  
                      I was here

            I just want them to know
          That I gave my all, did my best
      Brought someone some happiness
   Left this world a little better just because

                       I was here

                       I was here
                  I lived, I loved
                      I was here
I did, I've done everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I wanna leave my mark so everyone will know
                     I was here
              I lived (I lived), I loved
                    I was here
             I did (I did), I've done
                     I was here
           I lived (I lived), I loved (I loved)
                        I was here
                    I did, I've done

                      I was here

16 comments:

  1. Awwwww! This is so touching and I love how u said "I was here" lyrics could probably be what she would have said o you guys,touching,yet comedic,I remember ur aunt tania in the kuwda stories,RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is moving,am a new fan but reading all this and ending with I was here was just moving,reading the lyrics,more as a poem than as the song

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching,gives d song another way to appreciate it reading it like a poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! May her soul RIP,what killed her

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chai! "What killed her", how zinging and insensitive

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice infusion of beyo into the otherwise sad story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww,rip aunt tania,I remember the episode where you talked about aunt tania wearing shortjeans and with clenched fists ready to tackle your paternal grand pa,I found it so funny,rip dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really knew all the words to that song but this part really moved me in relation tour aunt

      I want to say I lived each day, until I died
      And know that I meant something in, somebody's life
      The hearts I have touched, will be the proof that I leave
      That I made a difference, and this world will see

      Delete
  8. Oh my God! I've really missed a lot oo,so aunt tania is dead?that diva aunt that pallies well with maj,ah! What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmm,life,life,life,alive today,dead tomorrow,life! Hmmn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice eulogy,not much rhetorics,just talked about missing someone dear

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt touched,rip to aunt tania,we would miss her on kuwda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you guys sit down to tell each other these things you already know or you came together to say it for kuwda? #justasking

    #la GAGA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its because you ignorant,from the beginning of kuwda,the family has had some deaths,the usual practice is to record the family talking about the deceased...for closure,now you know

    #dedicatedkuwdafan

    ReplyDelete